Plant experts always advise gardeners and farmers to put their fingers about one inch below the soil to determine whether their plants need to be watered. Nevertheless, this is somewhat not the best way to check for moisture levels since “enough moisture” may vary from person to person. With that said, it is recommended that you go for a soil moisture meter, especially if you are inexperienced or if your plants have been dying yet you don’t know why. Soil moisture meter has a probe that you insert into the soil to know whether your plant needs more or less water. They help improve the health of plants. For best purchase, take a look at the following top 10 best soil moisture meters reviews.
- 1. Luster Leaf 1820 Rapitest Soil Moisture Meter
- 2. Marge Plus Soil Moisture Meter
- 3. Sonkir MH02 Soil pH Meter
- 4. REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
- 5. Jellas 3-in-1 Soil Moisture Meter
- 6. XLUX T10 Soil Moisture Sensor Meter
- 7. Dr.meter 2pack Soil Moisture Meter
- 8. mooncity Soil pH Tester (No Battery Needed)
- 9. TACKLIFE 3-in-1 Soil Moisture/pH/Light Tester
- 10. Luster Leaf Moisture Meter (Digital)
1. Luster Leaf 1820 Rapitest Soil Moisture Meter
We have given this soil moisture meter the number one position because it is very convenient to use. And this is owed to the fact that it does not require battery for operation. We also like its gauge that displays on a scale of 1 to 10 i.e. dry-wet. Another impressive feature that contributes directly to the meter’s performance is the tethered stainless steel probe that measures water at the root level. The soil moisture meter includes watering needs for more than 150 plants. It has what it takes to tell you when your plants need watering.
- Makes monitoring the need for water effortless
- Easy to use and works great
- Ideal for inexperienced plant keepers
- Makes it easy to keep plants alive and healthy
- Has a large display for easy visibility
- Not the most accurate
2. Marge Plus Soil Moisture Meter
The Marge Plus Soil Moisture Meter also does not require battery like the first product on this list. This means it is economical as well as very convenient to use. To get the best out of it, simply switch moisture/pH/light position; stick the probe into the soil around 2 – 4 inches, and then adjust the position of the probe until the pointer on the dial swings slightly. After doing all that, wait for around 10 minutes before checking the level of moisture/pH/light in the dial. This soil moisture meter comes with an 18-month warranty to protect against defects and poor workmanship.
- Great for amending the soil
- Takes an accurate measurement of the moisture
- Prongs seem to be of better quality
- Simple and easy to use
- Moisture and light readings are read immediately
- A bit fragile
3. Sonkir MH02 Soil pH Meter
Soil moisture meters work great, and if you can get a versatile one, it will be even better. That said, the Sonkir MH02 Soil pH Meter boasts a 3-in-1 function. This means it is not just great for testing soil moisture but also can be relied on to check the pH value and sunlight level. Buying it is fairly easy and worry-free since it comes with a 12-month warranty. Besides, this soil moisture meter has a premium double needle detection technology, which strongly enhances the accuracy and speed of detecting as well as analyzing pH acidity and moisture levels.
- Simple to use and works well
- Great for gardening purposes
- Helps keep plants healthy
- Does not require batteries
- Ideal for managing the garden for planting plants
- The moisture meter does not come with additional information to help users determine the amount of light, pH, and moisture that their plants need.
4. REOTEMP Garden and Compost Moisture Meter
This heavy-duty moisture meter is designed for farmers, gardeners, and composters not to mention being good to nurseries. It has a unique calibration feature that makes it great for a wide range of applications such as gardening, compost, and soil moisture testing. The calibration will let you adjust the meter to the specific moisture needs of different applications and plants. You will be able to use this meter year in year out. And this is because of its rugged metal construction. Although this soil moisture meter uses battery, it is only one AAA battery, and it comes with the meter.
- Can be pushed into all but the hardest dry soil
- Its shaft has a convenient length
- Easy to use and works as advertised
- Seems well made for long-term use
- Gives very accurate readings
- The included instructions/directions could be clearer
5. Jellas 3-in-1 Soil Moisture Meter
The Jellas 3-in-1 Soil Moisture Meter should be a frontier for you if you want to know the condition of your plant better. It boasts a moisture range of 1 – 10 (1 – 3 Dry; 4 – 7 Nor, and 8 – 10 Wet). It also has a good pH range that varies from 3.5 – 8, where 3.5 – 6.5 is acid and 7 – 8 is alkaline. Its relative light ranges from 0 – 2000lux (0 – 200 Low; 200 – 500Low+; 500 – 1000 Nor, and 1000 – 2000 High). The soil moisture meter comes with an 18-month quality warranty to make sure that you do not waste your money by buying it.
- Fairly good for the price
- Makes testing the soil a breeze
- Helps improve the health of plants
- Works efficiently and quickly
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- The light indicator could be better
6. XLUX T10 Soil Moisture Sensor Meter
XLUX takes care of this product up to the 18th month after purchase. And we think this is something to smile about. Another thing that will make you want to have this product even before you finish reading its review is the large dial with 10 scales. The feature really makes the soil moisture sensor meter easy to use. The soil moisture meter does not require battery, and this too is a plus. It can be used inside the house to check the soil conditions of home plants or outdoors in the garden or anywhere you have plants.
- Makes it easy to check if plants need to be watered
- Easy to use and works as advertised
- Eliminates guesswork on whether plants need more or less water
- Great for house or potted plants
- Seems to be well made
- Not reliable enough
7. Dr.meter 2pack Soil Moisture Meter
Imagine a soil moisture meter that does not require a battery or electricity, totally amazing, right? Well, that’s what the Dr.meter Soil Moisture Meters are all about. They are very simple to use since all you need to do is to simply plug and read. In addition, these soil moisture meters are compact and boast a portable design that makes them great for indoor and outdoor use. Plus they have a color-coded system from red, green to blue. Their moisture levels have up to 10 scales to further improve convenience.
- Easy to use and very convenient
- The seller is always ready to help
- Great for those who are new to taking care of their plants
- The two-pack package is an outstanding deal
- Helps protect plants from being over/under watered
- They corrode when left in the soil
8. mooncity Soil pH Tester (No Battery Needed)
This unit is a 3-in-1 device. And this means it can be relied on to give moisture readings, pH acidity levels, and soil conditions. It is engineered with ultimate convenience in mind, considering that it neither needs batteries nor electricity to work. That said, simply plug it and get the readings. The unit features a compact and portable design, making it great both for indoor and outdoor use. By letting you determine the moisture, pH, and light levels, this soil pH tester will contribute greatly to making your plants healthy.
- Makes the evaluation of the soil condition an easy work
- Good value for the price
- Has a solid build
- Its forks are very sturdy
- Its moisture sensor works just fine
- Fairly straightforward and works as expected
- The pH reading is not the most accurate
9. TACKLIFE 3-in-1 Soil Moisture/pH/Light Tester
Since this soil moisture meter is 3-in-1, it can be used to test the pH and moisture of the soil as well as to check the level of sunlight. It is definitely a handy tool for anyone who wants their plants to do well. It combines precision and durability to give you the best results ever. It is precise in the sense that it has sensitive probes that could sense changes of the soil and transfer findings to the conductor. Using this tester is amazingly easy; simply set the switch to position light/pH/moist that you want. Once you are done, insert the probes into the soil around 1.2 – 6 inches, and then wait for a few minutes until the pointer stops swinging to get a stable and accurate reading on the scale dial.
- Has a decent amount of power
- Fairly low priced yet works well
- Helpful in knowing how dry or wet the soil is for plants
- Easy to use and read
- Provides accurate readings and monitors plants well
- The pH range is not wide enough
10. Luster Leaf Moisture Meter (Digital)
They say if you buy from Luster Leaf, then you have made a great decision. That’s why we feel very happy to review their second product on this list. Their Luster Leaf Moisture Meter (Digital) is designed and engineered in the USA, meaning it has all the top quality features in its locker. It measures moisture level instantly to ensure that you are not kept waiting. Besides, its digital output is very easy to read, and this further makes it convenient. Still on convenience, the soil moisture meter comes with a printed plant list to make sure you know the plants it is compatible with.
- Effective and easy to use
- Has a large and easy-to-read display
- Can be used on low pots and hanging baskets with ease
- Only tests for moisture (not sunlight or pH) and this eliminates confusion as to which parameter you are reading.
- Accurate outdoors as it is indoors
- Can be quite difficult to read from above
A soil moisture meter is an indispensable tool for both experienced and inexperienced gardeners and farmers. They are designed to measure soil moisture levels, although, there are versatile ones that will also get the readings of pH levels and light quantity. In this platform, we have discussed the best selling ones with the hope that you will find a better brand at a fair price.