Hair is one of the main items that clog a shower drain. This is because as you wash your hair, a few loose strands tend to come off and move right to the drain where they accumulate, thereby, clogging it. As a result, you are likely to have a pool of water in your bathtub that can make the whole bathroom messy if not taken care of. While having a plumber to unclog your shower drains can help solve such a problem, it is way too expensive in the long run.
So, what do you do? Well, we have a piece of advice for you; simply turn to a shower drain hair catcher. Although these creative devices are highly affordable, you will be amazed at how useful they are. They catch hair, soap scum, and other foreign objects to ensure that the water in the drain is flowing smoothly. In this article, we have provided the top 10 best shower drain hair catchers reviews to further break down this topic for you.
- 1. TubShroom Tub Drain Protector Hair Catcher
- 2. OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector
- 3. Danco Universal Bathtub Hair Catcher (10306)
- 4. OXO Good Grips Drain Protector
- 5. LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher
- 6. TubShroom Stand-Up Drain Protector
- 7. Good Living Self-Sealing Hair Catcher
- 8. Umbra White Starfish Hair Catcher
- 9. Uxoz Stainless Steel Drain Hair Catcher
- 10. SlipX Solutions Stop-A-Clog Drain Protectors
1. TubShroom Tub Drain Protector Hair Catcher
This hair catcher will make you love your hair more and more. It is very easy to fit inside a tub drain, considering that it fits neatly and perfectly. For this reason, it will not go over the drain. Since it fits nicely, this protector hair catcher promises to catch any hair that passes near it. It comes in 5 different and fun colors, which are clean white; autumn orange; marine blue; organic green, and neutral gray. This means you will be able to find one regardless of the color or finish of your sink or tub drain. The hair catcher is incredibly very easy to clean, and this is because all you need to do is to wipe it. You do not need to use any chemicals or undergo the frustration of having to deal with tangled messes.
- Hides trapped hair to keep the sink clean
- Catches all hair types including dog’s
- Perfect for people with long hair
- Easy to pull out from the sink for cleaning
- Does not slow down the flow of water
- Does not work 100-percent as advertised, although it works okay.
2. OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector
Your shower drain really needs this drain protector. And we are saying this because it prevents hair from clogging the drain, thereby, keeping it clean and fresh. The drain protector features a tall dome shape that accommodates both pop-up and flat drains well. It is made of stainless steel and silicone and then weighted to make sure that it is kept in place even when the water is fast moving. Another good thing with this shower drain hair catcher is that it can be fitted over shower stall drains without becoming a nuisance. Its silicone rim keeps it in place, while its rust-proof stainless steel construction makes it durable and reliable. The drain protector catches hair effectively without blocking water drainage.
- Tall enough to fit effortlessly over most pop-up drains
- Wipes and cleans easily
- Durable enough to withstand daily abuse
- The weighted top improves stability
- Eliminates the need to clear the drain every now and then
- Tends to slow down the flow of water
3. Danco Universal Bathtub Hair Catcher (10306)
If clearing your drain every time is too much, consider the Danco Universal Bathtub Hair Catcher (10306). It is very easy to install with no tools needed to do the same. Moreover, it works perfectly in making sure that clogs and foreign objects are eliminated. The hair catcher is made of a flexible PVC material, so expect it to fit almost any drain as well as to hold up well. Its white finish blends perfectly with the existing fixtures. The manufacturer has equipped it with unique pegs that catch hair before it can head down the drain. The same manufacturer has included a basket, which catches any missed hairs. This hair catcher is designed to fit drains with diameters ranging from 4 inches to 4.5 inches.
- Catches hair as advertised
- The price is very affordable
- Fits shower drains with diameters ranging from 4 inches to 4.5 inches
- Stays in place just fine
- Does not slow down the flow of water
- Cleaning the drain protector takes some effort
4. OXO Good Grips Drain Protector
We do not think you will go wrong with the OXO Good Grips Drain Protector. This is because it is a product of OXO, which is one of the most dedicated manufacturers in the world. Besides, this shower stall drain protector has a number of features that really contribute to its performance. For example, it is equipped with a silicone rim that helps keep it in place by preventing it from sliding around. It also features an innovative hole pattern that catches hair without blocking the drainage. The shower stall drain protector is made of rust-proof stainless steel to enable it to hold up well to extreme conditions. It sits flat on shower stall drains; hence, it will not get in the way.
- Does not rust even after years of use
- Offers an easy way to stop hair from moving to the drain
- Fits perfectly over most drains
- Easy to clean and has a great finish
- Well designed and made
- Does not stay in place
5. LEKEYE Shower Drain Hair Catcher
This shower drain hair catcher from LEKEYE prevents drainages from getting clogged. That’s why we recommend it to you. It is made of stainless steel, which is rust-proof for superior durability. Ideally, its edge is made of silicone to enable it to effectively block foreign bodies. Since the materials used to make it are quality, this shower drain hair catcher is amazingly easy to clean. It has intermediate semi and circle design that allows water to flow smoothly. Plus it boasts a design of elliptical holes that effectively grasp the hair without blocking the drainage. It is perfect for a shower drain, considering its performance. In addition, its hole pattern is well-thought and works without tampering with the flow of water.
- Prevents hair and foreign objects from falling into the drain
- Grabs hair and holds onto it on the outside
- Prevents bugs from entering the house through the sewer
- Super easy to clean
- Looks great and fits perfectly
- The drain protector is a little too big
6. TubShroom Stand-Up Drain Protector
TubShroom is here once again. And this time around, they are more than happy to introduce the stand-up drain protector. Featuring a patented design, the drain protector works with any two-inch stand up shower stall drain. Once the drain protector has fitted in the shower stall drain, it catches lots of hair, which comes its way. And it does that without slowing down the water flow. Considering how this hair catcher is designed, expect it to work great in catching every hair type including pet hair. This means you will be able to wash your dog with confidence knowing that no drainage system will get blocked. We think you should give it a try, as it eliminates the need to use chemicals to clear the drain.
- Catches all hair and works amazingly well
- Fits easily into the drain
- Does not affect the water drainage flow
- Installs quickly and easily
- Simple; hence, easy to clean
- Stands up higher than an average hair catcher
7. Good Living Self-Sealing Hair Catcher
We are pretty sure that you do not enjoy paying a plumber huge sums of money to help you clear your drain. That’s why we think that you should consider the Good Living Self-Sealing Hair Catcher. It is a life-saver unit designed to solve the problem of clogged drains conveniently. It catches hair and debris while allowing water to flow. For this reason, you will have a drain that is fully functional, year in year out. Ideally, this hair catcher is not like other brands, considering that it seals on its own and blends seamlessly with the existing décor. Although it is very affordable, this shower drain hair catcher will go a long way to save you several bucks.
- Works very well at catching hair
- Fits many different shapes of drains
- Does not stop water from flowing
- Very easy to pull off when it gets dirty
- Seals nicely to the bottom of the tub
- A little difficult to clean
8. Umbra White Starfish Hair Catcher
Nowadays it does not take a lot of effort or money to keep your drain clog-free. This is because of such innovative devices as the Umbra White Starfish Hair Catcher. This device looks natural in its aquatic space, and it does its job nicely. It measures 6-1/4” in diameter by ½” high. Well, this is a perfect size that fits most standard tub and shower drains. The hair catcher is made of a flexible construction and features up to 5 suction cups to hold its cover in place. It also boasts a starfish design, which allows it to stay in place to trap hair before it can reach the drain. It is no doubt that it will be a good addition to your shower drain.
- Works well for catching the hairs
- Adds a fun, whimsical touch to the bathroom
- Fits shower drains nicely
- Cleans up quickly and effortlessly
- The size is perfect; not too big
- Suction cups could be better
9. Uxoz Stainless Steel Drain Hair Catcher
If you decide to buy a shower drain hair catcher, then go for the Uxoz Stainless Steel Drain Hair Catcher. This is because its build quality is no doubt at par. It is made of stainless steel and not silicone, which is prone to mildew growth. In addition, its wall is thin, and, therefore, will allow water to flow without slowing down or causing a clog. Also, this shower drain hair catcher features four sizes of rubber ring that match most bathtub drains and bathroom sinks. The hair catcher has a shiny look and boasts an elegant, stable and vertical design with tripod leg. It gathers and catches hair before it reaches the drain. The hair catcher supports drains with sizes ranging from 1.35 inches to 1.75 inches.
- Matches most tubs nicely
- Catches all the hair and strains the scum
- Easy to clean and keeps the drain clean
- Comes with 3 extra rubber rings
- Goes in quickly and easily
- Tends to clog quickly, perhaps, because of the small holes
10. SlipX Solutions Stop-A-Clog Drain Protectors
The inner diameter of this stop-a-clog drain protector is 3 inches, while the outer diameter is 5-1/4 inches. That said, it easily fits any standard-sized shower and tub drains. The drain protector is effective, and that’s why it is preferred by many people. Apart from catching hair, it traps other particles. As a result, it will help keep your bathroom clean and ensure that your shower drain is clear and functional. The six suction cups that come with stop-a-clog protector adheres to smooth surfaces such as tile and fiberglass, among others. By so doing, they prevent the drain protector from moving around when the water is flowing. This hair catcher is machine washable, meaning you will not need a lot of effort to get it cleaned up.
- Prevents the shower from clogging with hair
- Easy to put into the drain
- Does not move once installed
- Very easy to open
- Machine washable for ultimate convenience
- Needs to be cleaned often
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Shower Drain Hair Catcher
Yes, you have decided to go for a shower drain hair catcher. But before you hurriedly choose one, take a look at the following factors. We have provided them together with the above reviews because we know their usefulness.
- Ease of Removal & Cleaning
At the end of the day, you have to clean your shower drain hair catcher to enable it to remain effective. You have to take it off and remove the hair it has caught. With this in mind, make sure that the shower drain hair catcher you are settling for does not take a lot of effort to remove from the drain for cleaning. If possible, consider machine washable drain hair catchers, which clean up very quickly.
- The Size of Holes
While small-holed shower drain hair catchers work great at catching lots of hair, they tend to get clogged very fast. For this reason, you will have to clean them often. Large-holed shower drain hair catchers are likely to let a lot of hair reach the drain despite not clogging as fast as their small-holed counterparts. With that said, be sure to go for a shower drain hair catcher with the perfect hole; neither too small nor too large.
- The Construction
Although a shower drain hair catcher made of plastic is cheap, in our opinion, we do not think is the one you should settle for unless you plan to discard it once it gets dirty. This is because plastic materials are flimsy not to mention that they tend to catch mildew and mold. Also, some materials do rust; thus, they do not last long enough. That said, you should consider shower drain hair catchers made of durable rust-resistant materials like stainless steel and aluminum.
- The Size of the Drain
Most shower drain hair catchers have diameters that fit standard-sized drains perfectly. This means you will not use a lot of effort to find one if you have a standard-sized shower drain. However, if your shower drain is not standard-sized, it is important that you be extra keen on the dimensions of the drain hair catcher you are set to take home.
- Design of the Hair Catcher
It is advisable to choose a shower drain hair catcher with efficient design. This means the design should have suction cups that enable the shower drain hair catcher to stay in place. An efficient design also has innovative hole patterns, which prevent hair from reaching the drain while allowing water to flow through smoothly.
It is unfortunate if a significant amount of your hard-earned money goes to unclogging of your shower drains. That’s why we thought it wise to introduce you to a cost-effective method to keep your shower drains functional year in year out. With the shower drain hair catchers, you will only spend once, that is in buying them. They work well in keeping drains unclogged, and this makes them a must-have in any household.