Outdoor appliances such as electric lawn mowers, bush trimmers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers can be very difficult to operate if there is no power source nearby. They tend to use a lot of power, and this means ordinary extension cords cannot power them. So, if you are a DIY enthusiast or a homeowner who simply wants to keep their yards clean and beautiful, an outdoor extension cord is a must-have.
These cords are designed for outdoor use; hence, they are made of strong materials that can withstand direct sunlight, moisture, snow, dirt, dust, and many more. They are also well made and have desirable ratings that enable them to nicely power nearly all outdoor appliances. Additionally, outdoor extension cords are long enough to make maneuverability a breeze. And once you are done using them, they fold up nicely for quick storage. Check out the following top 10 best outdoor extension cords reviews for the best deals.
- 1. Coleman Cable 16/3 Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord
- 2. AmazonBasics 16/3 Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord
- 3. Iron Forge Cable 15 Ft Outdoor Extension Cord
- 4. Coleman Cable 2356 16/3 Outdoor Extension Cord
- 5. Iron Forge Cable Outdoor Extension Cord with Power Block (10 Ft – Green)
- 6. US Wire and Cable 14/3 SJTW Extension Cord
- 7. Iron Forge Cable Outdoor Extension Cord (100 Foot – Yellow)
- 8. Woods Master Outdoor Extension Cord
- 9. Coleman Cable Outdoor Extension Cord
- 10. Master Electrician 16/3 Vinyl Extension Cord
1. Coleman Cable 16/3 Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord
This outdoor extension cord is perfect for landscaping. Plus it is ideal for powering appliances such as weed whacker, shop vac, bush trimmer, electric lawn mower, and leaf blower. It is a 100-foot extension cord with a rating of 10 amp, 125 volt, and 1250 watt. Besides, it displays an orange color that makes it highly visible, making sure that you are able to see it while working in your yard. For this reason, it will not tip you over. The extension cord is designed for outdoor, and to stand up to the adverse outdoor conditions, it is coated with a waterproof material for sunlight, abrasion, and moisture protection. It is also durably designed, as seen through its water-resistant molded plug and reinforced blades.
- Does what it is supposed to do
- Durable and holds up well
- Orange color enhances visibility and improves safety
- Great for any outdoor mechanical use
- Has a safety ground on it
- It is not as flexible as rubber-made cords
2. AmazonBasics 16/3 Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord
Like the first outdoor extension cord we reviewed, the AmazonBasics 16/3 Vinyl Outdoor Extension Cord is orange. That being said, it is highly visible; hence, it adds safety during use not to mention being able to be spotted easily in a garage or workroom. The rating of this outdoor extension cord is 13 amps, 1625 watts, and 125VAC. In addition, this extension cord has a 3-prong grounded plug to help add safety. Its vinyl covering helps protect it against abrasion, moisture, and direct sunlight. The vinyl covering is also flexible to make sure that the cord is easy to fold up when it is not in use. To further convince you that this outdoor extension cord is quality, the manufacturer has backed it with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Sturdy and works as intended
- Seems to be very well made
- Does not tangle like most cords
- Soft and easy to wrap
- Lightweight and easy to manage
- The female connector is larger than usual
3. Iron Forge Cable 15 Ft Outdoor Extension Cord
If you are a DIY enthusiast, this outdoor extension cord will be a great buy. It is all-purpose, and, therefore, it can be used both indoors and outdoors. That said, you can use it in the office to power computers, printers, and monitors. It can also be used at home to power DIY appliances. The extension cord comes with a lifetime replacement warranty to show that the manufacturer stands behind the product; thus, you will not go wrong with it. What’s more, this extension cord is equipped with reinforced blades that protect prongs from breaking or bending. It is durably made and offers strain relief for peerless performance. This extension cord measures 15 feet long, which is just fine.
- Great for people who do not want overly long cords
- Perfect both for indoor and outdoor applications
- Feels sturdy and works well
- Makes a great gift for DIY enthusiasts
- Looks nice and heavy
- For some reasons, the cord has a smell
4. Coleman Cable 2356 16/3 Outdoor Extension Cord
This extension cord is heavy duty and well suited for the outdoor environment. As such, it is durable enough to make sure that elements, dirt, and dust do not affect it. The cord is small and blends into the landscape perfectly without sticking out. Although this extension cord is heavy-duty, it is flexible, and, therefore, it will not tangle. With that said, you will not have any problems using it. This outdoor extension cord is also versatile; hence, you will be able to use it to power on an outdoor fountain, lawn mower, and patio fans, among others. The outdoor extension cord is available in many different sizes including 20, 40, and 80 feet. It is made by a notable manufacturer, and this will give you peace of mind.
- The price is unbeatable
- Perfect and works exactly as expected
- Sturdy, quality and heavy duty
- Arrives in a variety of sizes to choose from
- Well constructed and looks really nice
- Not great for winter
5. Iron Forge Cable Outdoor Extension Cord with Power Block (10 Ft – Green)
The Iron Forge Cable 10 Ft Outdoor Extension Cord is perfect for powering on a pressure washer, leaf blower, bug zapper, Christmas decorations, weed whacker, power saw, and an electric drill, among others. It is flame retardant and water resistant to make sure it is reliable. Moreover, this extension cord is covered by vinyl to protect it against direct sunlight and abrasion. It has a 3-prong grounded plug, which helps add safety. Plus it boasts an admirable rating of 13 amp, 125 volts, and 1625 watts. To ensure that it overcomes anything the outdoor environment throws at it, the extension cord is rugged and looks durable. In fact, the manufacturer believes in its durability to the extent that they provide a lifetime replacement warranty on every purchase.
- Has multiple outlets for convenience
- Heavy duty enough to withstand the adverse outdoor conditions
- Very useful for work projects
- Perfect for powering on small appliances
- Has the right length
- It is green; hence, can be a little difficult to spot while working outdoors
6. US Wire and Cable 14/3 SJTW Extension Cord
If you have a heavy-duty tool that needs a maximum power of 13 amps, the US Wire and Cable 14/3 SJTW Extension Cord is the product to go for. It is yellow lighted in color, so you can easily spot it while you are working outdoors. This means the safety of this extension cord is enhanced because you will spot it early enough to prevent tipping and other unfortunates. The outdoor extension cord is 100ft. long, and this is just perfect for powering any appliance. That being said, it will not limit your movements, especially when you are using it to work in a large area. Apart from one pack, this outdoor extension cord is available in 2 packs, 4 packs, 6 packs, and 8 packs.
- Appears to be sturdy and well constructed
- The material used is very flexible
- Works well with leaf blowers and 1500-watt heaters
- Bright enough to improve safety
- Does not heat up even after repeated use
- Can be a little bulky to use because it is heavy duty and very long
7. Iron Forge Cable Outdoor Extension Cord (100 Foot – Yellow)
Iron Forge Cable understands that you like quality and convenient products. That’s why they have made this extension cord both for indoor and outdoor use. This means you will be able to use the extension cord for powering, landscaping, and gardening. Furthermore, they have made sure that the extension cord is adapted to an outdoor environment. And they have achieved that by covering it with a vinyl material that is not just resistant to moisture but also strong enough to stand up to direct sunlight and abrasion. The extension cord boasts an admirable rating of 15 amps, 125 volts, and 1875 watts. Based on this rating and the 100 ft. length, the cord will not be a disappointment. It features LED lighted plugs that indicate when the power is on.
- Heavy duty and well insulated
- Lighted ends are helpful
- Does not heat up even when used for long
- The cable has tight connections
- The material used is much thicker than most cords
- A little heavier than anticipated
8. Woods Master Outdoor Extension Cord
The Woods Master Outdoor Extension Cord is designed to meet all of your needs. With that said, it is the perfect extension cord for anyone who wants to keep their family safe or power their next home improvement project. This extension cord is a product of a company that has been around for 75 years. As such, it features everything that the user needs. It has three grounded outlets that are uniformly spaced to let you power on several appliances at a go. Ideally, these conveniently spaced outlets will help keep your yard organized and clutter free, given that they eliminate plugging in all appliances in one end. The extension cord boasts a rating of 15amp, 125 volt, and 1875 watt. It features a green jacket that blends perfectly with gardens and lawns, thereby, making sure that the outdoor décor is not compromised.
- Durable and well made
- Great for spacing several outdoor items
- Makes life easier and more convenient
- The length is good and helps improve convenience
- Perfect for construction workers
- Arrives stiff, but lays well once you begin using it
9. Coleman Cable Outdoor Extension Cord
You are likely to miss a lot should you ignore this outdoor extension cord. This is because it is heavy duty and made of a thick vinyl jacket, which protects it against dirt, dust, moisture, abrasion, and chemicals. That being said, the extension cord will stand up to anything the outdoor environment has got. This extension cord also boasts reinforced blades that improve safety and durability by preventing accidental breakage and bending. Additionally, the cord is super versatile, and this means you will find it perfect for powering up outdoor appliances such as security lights, festive lights, and patio fans. It can also be used to power Christmas lights as well as indoor household appliances. Since this cord is a product of a reputable company, expect great services in the event that you purchase it.
- Works well for outdoor use
- Withstands the rain just fine
- The price is competitive
- Very inconspicuous for most patios
- The length is perfect for most outdoor needs
- A little bulkier and thicker than expected
10. Master Electrician 16/3 Vinyl Extension Cord
Master Electrician is a legit company that is all out to satisfy their customers. They produce premium quality products including the Master Electrician to make sure that whoever buys them is happy with the purchase. To prove to you that they mean what say, Master Electrician has made sure that this extension cord meets OSHA specifications. They have also ensured that it is UL listed. Well, the company has not stopped there; it has gone an extra mile to cover the extension cord with a black vinyl jacket that resists oil, grease, moisture, and abrasion. Also, this outdoor extension cord boasts a 13-amp rating, meaning it can be used to power quite a number of appliances including sump pumps, small drills, and jigsaws.
- Has a thick covering and works as intended
- The length is perfect
- Strong and seems to be well made
- Good for lighting up Christmas tree lights
- The price is reasonable
- Contains lead, but this does not affect its performance
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Outdoor Extension Cord
Not all outdoor extension cords are the same. This means not all of them will satisfy your needs. For this reason, take a look at the buyer’s guide we have provided here to land a suitable product that will do everything you need it to do.
- The Length
The length of the outdoor extension cord you are about to go for should be determined by the area of your yard. This means if you have a larger yard, you should go for a longer cord that will allow for easy maneuverability of outdoor appliances. It should also be determined by how far your power outlet is in the sense that the father the power outlet, the longer the cord.
- The Material Used
Since you are buying an outdoor extension cord, it is in order that you buy one covered with a strong material such as vinyl or rubber. This will protect the cord from outdoor elements like sunlight, moisture, dirt, and dust. Also, the material used to cover a cord you are set to buy should be flexible to make the cord easy to manage.
- Safety and Certifications
The best extension cord should be equipped with 3 prongs to make it easy to use as well as to improve safety. It should also feature reinforced blades, which are known to prevent accidental bending and breaking. In addition, you can go an extra mile to make sure that the extension cord you are settling for is UL listed and/or meets OSHA specifications. This will give you confidence knowing that the cord has been rigorously tested for quality and safety.
- The Color
The color of an outdoor extension cord should not be taken for granted. This is because the color goes a long way to improving safety as well. For example, bright colors such as yellow, orange, and white improve visibility, thereby, preventing tipping over or running over the cord with an outdoor machine. That said, choose an extension cord with a color that not only blends well with your outdoor décor but also improves safety by being very visible.
- The Number of Outlets
This depends on the number of appliances you need to power on at once. With that said, you should go for a cord with multiple outlets if you have several appliances to power. Ideally, when choosing a cord with several outlets, make sure the outlets are conveniently spaced to avoid plugging in all the appliances in one end.
We hope that everything you wanted to hear about an outdoor extension cord has been talked about comprehensively in these reviews and buyer’s guide. We also hope that you were able to use the information we have provided to get a suitable outdoor extension cord that meets all of your needs.