It has been proven that kidney failure is one of the major causes of deaths among cats. Unfortunately, kidney failure in cats can easily be prevented by keeping your pet hydrated. But this is unlikely to be easier for you, especially if you go to work every morning and stay there until in the evening. Your cat or dog is, therefore, likely to stay the whole day without water. While you can leave your pet water in a bowl, this has never been the wisest choice. For one, the water in the bowl is stagnant, and this encourages bacteria growth. Pets also do not enjoy drinking from the bowl.
So, if you are a busy pet owner who finds it totally difficult to supply your pet with clean, fresh water on a consistent basis, you need a drinkwell pet fountain. These units are designed to produce a free-flowing stream, which adds more oxygen to the water. And when they do that, they encourage pets to drink more. They also keep the water moving continuously to inhibit the growth of bacteria. Choose one for your pet from the following top 10 best drinkwell pet fountains reviews.
- 1. PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
- 2. PetSafe Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain
- 3. PetSafe 128 oz. Drinkwell 360 Water Fountain
- 4. PetSafe 100oz. Drinkwell Multi-Tier Water Fountain
- 5. PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain
- 6. PetSafe 40 oz. Drinkwell Water Fountain
- 7. Catit 64 fl. Oz. Top Drinking Fountain (Stainless Steel)
- 8. PetSafe 70 oz. Drinkwell Avalon Ceramic Water Fountain
- 9. PETKIT Automatic Pet Drinking Fountain
- 10. isYoung Automatic Water Pet Fountain
1. PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
Check Price on Amazon
The PetSafe Pet Fountain unit offers 1.3 gal (168 oz.) of fresh, filtered water to your cat or dog. It is a well-constructed unit that is made to help improve the health of your pet. The reason why PetSafe has equipped it with a 168-ounce capacity is that it wants the drinkwell pet fountain to be perfect for both small and large breeds. The unit has an integrated reservoir, which not only increases capacity but also requires less refilling. Furthermore, we are happy to note that it is made of BPA-free plastic materials. And this means it will not compromise the health of your furry friend. Besides, these materials are top-rack dishwasher-friendly for quick and easy cleaning. It keeps pets hydrated, thereby, preventing kidney and urinary diseases.
- Great for pets that do not drink stagnant water
- Works great and lasts longer
- Disassembles quickly for easy cleaning
- Perfect for pets of all sizes
- Replacement filters are easy to find
- Needs thorough cleaning on a regular basis
2. PetSafe Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain
Another one from PetSafe; this drinkwell pet fountain has a 50-ounce capacity, and this means it is great for cats and small dogs. But, unlike the Platinum Drinkwell Pet Fountain, the Original Pet Fountain is equipped with Free-Falling Stream that entices cats and dogs to drink more water. As a result, they will be hydrated and have improved health. The unit also allows the pet owner to customize the water flow simply by adjusting the flow control knob. Ideally, we would like to mention that this drinkwell pet fountain comes with a replaceable water filter, which keeps water fresh by eliminating bad water tastes and odor. The model is made of BPA-free materials to give you full confidence in buying it.
- Top-shelf dishwasher-friendly for easy cleaning
- Flowing water encourages pets to drink more
- Perfect for cats and small dogs
- The water flow can be customized
- The hard plastic is very durable
- Not recommended for large dogs
3. PetSafe 128 oz. Drinkwell 360 Water Fountain
We are thrilled by the fact that this pet water fountain is designed for both cats and dogs. With a 128-ounce capacity, the water fountain is no doubt the best for large pets. It is loaded with several features like interchangeable spout rings that create up to five individual streams. It also has an adjustable flow control cap to help you customize water flow. Besides, you should not worry about the water losing its freshness. This is because the pet fountain comes with a carbon filter that removes odors to keep water fresh. The carbon filter is replaceable to help maintain the freshness of water. We believe that this is one of the items you should get your pet for healthy living.
- Water does not lose freshness or become odorous
- Parts (apart from the pump) are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Uses low voltage to promote safety
- Promotes constant circulation to inhibit the growth of bacteria
- Operates quietly and conveniently
- Requires heavy cleaning every 2 – 4 weeks
4. PetSafe 100oz. Drinkwell Multi-Tier Water Fountain
We love the superb design of this pet water fountain. And we are certain that your cat or dog will love it as well. This multi-tier water fountain has an upper and lower dish, so it can offer pets two drinking areas. The upper dish is for cats or dogs with such health complications as arthritis. Plus it is handy for senior pets who find it hard to go down low in order to drink. That aside, this unit features a 100-ounce capacity, and this makes it ideal for pets of all sizes. It also has a replaceable water filter, which removes odors and bad tastes, so water can remain fresh throughout. It is a convenient drinkwell pet fountain that your lovely friend should not miss at any given time.
- The price is lower than other brands
- Ideal for small to medium-sized pets
- Keeps pets hydrated
- Offers multiple places to drink
- Ideal for older and arthritic pets
- Gets a little loud when the water level drops
5. PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain
The PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain offers convenience to both the pet owner and the pet himself. It gives out plenty of water that will keep your pet hydrated and healthy. What’s more, it is equipped with a free-falling stream, which keeps water moving to inhibit bacteria growth. It also has an activated-carbon filter to ensure that the water does not have an odor or any bad taste. For this reason, it will make your pet healthy since she will be drinking fresh water only. Another feature that we also feel contribute a lot to the performance of this pet fountain is the adjustable flow control cap that decreases or increases water flow. Moreover, there is the receiving ramp that reduces the sound of falling water as well as preventing it from splashing.
- The large capacity is convenient
- Easy to put together and clean
- Looks nice and works quietly
- Comes with cleaning instructions
- The metal keeps the water cool
- Requires cleaning on a regular basis, lest it will clog up
6. PetSafe 40 oz. Drinkwell Water Fountain
Small pets have also not been left out in our reviews. We introduce to them this 40-ounce Drinkwell Water Fountain from PetSafe. Designed with lots of innovative features, this unit promises to give your pet fresh, filtered water anytime he wants it. The unit has two drinking options, which include drinking from the shallow bowl or flowing stream. For this reason, we are undoubtedly sure that your pet will enjoy drinking from it. Another feature we find amazing is the compact design, which is also narrow to offer hassle-free storage. Still, on convenience, this unit comes apart, so you can clean it quickly and easily. Plus, of course, it has an adjustable flow control to help you customize the water flow.
- Cats get used to them quickly
- Generally quiet; hence, won’t scare off pets
- Can be turned on or off
- Fits perfectly in tight places
- The power cord is long to improve convenience
- Helps prevent kidney failure
- Only works for one-cat household
7. Catit 64 fl. Oz. Top Drinking Fountain (Stainless Steel)
Catit has innovatively designed this top drinking fountain in such a way that it offers a constant flow of fresh water. For this reason, it will encourage cats and dogs to drink more. In addition, the manufacturer has equipped this model with high functioning features that keep water fresh and oxygenated, so it can meet the needs of your feline friend. The pet fountain also comes with a premium carbon filter, which eliminates odor and bad taste to ensure that pets enjoy drinking the water. The carbon filter is replaceable to allow for optimum convenience. This drinking fountain has a water capacity of 64 fluid ounce and promises to keep your pet hydrated and healthy.
- Easy to maintain and looks clean
- Offers the perfect height for mini Chihuahua
- Cats find it easy to access
- Well made and almost whisper quiet
- Encourages pets to drink more water
- The stainless steel looks modern and durable
- You cannot tell if it’s full
8. PetSafe 70 oz. Drinkwell Avalon Ceramic Water Fountain
This unit works simple and tirelessly to ensure that your cat or dog gets fresh water every time. It uses a pump to re-circulate water, making sure that it continuously passes through two filtration systems. The first system is a foam filter, which removes hair and debris, while the second one is an activated-carbon filter that removes bad taste and odor from the water. This unit also keeps water moving constantly to inhibit the growth of bacteria as well as encouraging pets to drink more. Additionally, it boasts a 70-ounce water capacity that makes it the go-to product for people with small to medium sized pets. The manufacturer has designed this pet fountain with porcelain design, which not only looks great but also is easier to clean.
- Does not have motor noise
- Extremely easy to clean
- The ceramic looks attractive
- Pump/filter guts system is user-friendly
- Available in two color options to choose from
- The price is higher, perhaps, because of the ceramic
9. PETKIT Automatic Pet Drinking Fountain
We have included this drinkwell pet fountain on this list because it is automatic. And that means it is much more convenient than other pet fountains on the market. It powers off automatically to eliminate the worries of inconveniences always seen in manual drinkwell pet fountains. Another great feature of this model is the ultra-silent pump, which has noise levels of less than 50dB in 40cm range. Furthermore, we love the Filter-change Reminder, as it conveniently reminds you when it is time to change the filter. The triple purifying system of this unit also contributes a lot to its performance. And the same applies to the 70-ounce water capacity, which makes the pet fountain great for those with small to medium-sized dogs.
- Works quietly to avoid disruptions
- Turns off automatically when it runs out of water
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Filters and purifies water completely
- Nice for cats and small dogs
- Reminds you when it is time to change the filters
- The 70-ounce water capacity is a little smaller
10. isYoung Automatic Water Pet Fountain
Believe it or not, the isYoung Automatic Water Pet Fountain consumes only 1.5KWh on a monthly basis and an incredible 18KWh annually. This means having it will virtually have no significant change in your electricity bills. Another feature we find impressive is the noise-canceling functionality, which allows your pet to catch some sleep. Also, there are quick-release components that make the parts of the fountain easy to disassemble and clean. The fountain has an 88-ounce capacity to provide your pet with better and fresher water. We believe that you need it to keep your pet healthy. That’s why we have talked about it extensively. It is hygienic and made of BPA-free materials for maximum safety. Ideally, you must note that this unit is for indoor use only.
- Provides pets with clean water every time
- Easy to clean and works great
- Instructions are detailed
- Consumes low energy
- Does not splash water
- Easy to set up and use
- A bit noisy
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Drinkwell Pet Fountain
Before you buy a pet fountain, you must make sure that you have certain factors at your fingertips to guide you. Fortunately, you will not need to look for those factors, as we have listed essential ones in this buyer’s guide. Take a look.
- Water Capacity
Choose the size of a pet fountain depending on the number of pets you have in your household or the size of your pet. That means go for a larger unit if you have several pets or a large breed. But if you have a cat or small dog, then you can settle for smaller pet fountains.
- The Material Used
Drinkwell pet fountains are mainly made of three materials, which are plastic, stainless steel, and ceramic. Plastic pet fountains work well but you must make sure that they are BPA-free. Stainless steel, on the other hand, is durable and resistant to corrosion and rust. It works great as well. Lastly, there is the ceramic material, which looks elegant and very easy to clean. The ceramic material is, however, more expensive than plastic and stainless steel.
- Ease of Cleaning
Pet fountains require regular cleaning, and this can be a nightmare if the fountain you bought your pet is difficult to clean. With this in mind, go for a unit that disassembles to make cleaning a breeze. You can also consider dishwasher-friendly fountains since they are easy to clean as well.
- The Height of the Unit
Make sure the Drinkwell pet fountain you go for has the perfect height for your pet. This is because pets are likely to knock over tall pet fountains when searching for water. Pets may also refuse to drink from overly tall pet fountains because they strain a lot to access the water inside.
- The Filters
Before you buy a Drinkwell pet fountain, make sure that its filters are readily available. This is because filters such as activated carbon are always replaceable. You may, therefore, have a hard time finding replacements if they are not available in nearby stores.
- The Noise Level
It is not uncommon for a drinkwell pet fountain to make noise when the water level reduces. However, the noise should not be too loud to the extent that it interferes with your peace or scares off your pet. Furthermore, the unit you go for should have a receiving ramp to reduce the sound of falling water, so it does not appear like someone is constantly peeing.
That’s our comprehensive reviews and buyer’s guide about Drinkwell pet fountains. Well, we hope that you have found both the reviews and buyer’s guide useful in helping you identify the correct product for your pet. We also hope that you have learned more than enough about Drinkwell pet fountain in general.