If dogs were to choose between staying at home and going for an adventure with their owners, it’s no doubt they would go for the latter. Most pets, especially dogs, are social animals, meaning they really enjoy the companionship of their owners. With this in mind, it’s commendable to carry your pet along to early morning walks and afternoon hikes. They really enjoy the moment and will love you more. Today, the market has dog carrier backpacks, which are specially designed to help you carry your pet anywhere your day takes you.
These carriers are comfortable and make sure your dog is safe throughout the adventure. Furthermore, they are not just designed for dogs. You can, therefore, take advantage of their versatile design to carry other pets like rabbits and cats. Read through these top 10 best dog carrier backpacks for hiking reviews to get the best product for your beloved pet.
- 1. Outward Hound Kyjen Dog Carrier
- 2. PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpacks for Small Cats and Dogs
- 3. SLEEKO Luxury Pet Carrier for Dogs and Cats
- 4. PetAmi Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Cats and Dogs
- 5. Cosmos Colorful Strip Pattern Dogs Legs Out Front Carrier Bag
- 6. Petsfit Comfort Dogs Carriers Backpack
- 7. Pet Gear I-GO2 Traveler Roller Backpack
- 8. CozyCabin Latest Style Comfortable Carrier Backpack
- 9. PAWABOO Pet Carrier Backpack for Traveling Hiking Camping
- 10. Prefer Pets Backpack Pet Carrier
1. Outward Hound Kyjen Dog Carrier
Keep your beloved, small dog safe and comfortable with this dog backpack carrier from Outward Hound. It makes carrying a pet a breeze while you are on the go. Furthermore, it is loaded with numerous fascinating features for optimum performance. The Outward Hound Dog Carrier is designed for dogs up to 15 pounds. It is designed by a manufacturer, which knows that small dogs may not walk as fast as we do. That’s why they provide this carrier backpack that allows you to have fun with your dog together. The carrier backpack is available in two different sizes, including medium and small. So, provided your dog is in the small breed range, expect to find a well-sized carrier backpack for him. The small size is 12 inches high when sitting and 7 inches wide, while the medium is 15 inches high when sitting and 10 inches wide. The small size is for dogs up to 10 pounds while the medium is for dogs up to 20 pounds. This carrier backpack is also available in different color options, which are grey and blue. It is designed to fit snug in order to safely carry your pet and give you peace of mind while you are on the go.
- Mesh-sides: They are designed for well-ventilated rides.
- Water-resistant nylon fabric: It is soft and durable for lifetime performance.
- Safety harness attachment and drawstring top: They improve security.
- Padding in back, straps & pouch bottom: It creates comfort for you and your pet.
- Makes it easy to hike with your dog
- The bottom does not collapse under the dog’s weight
- Dogs can sit on the flat bottom
- Dogs fit in nicely
- Well constructed and very comfortable
- Accommodates pets up to 15 pounds
- Runs small; hence, not great for big breeds
2. PetAmi Deluxe Pet Carrier Backpacks for Small Cats and Dogs
This top quality dog carrier backpack for hiking measures 12.5 inches long by 10.2 inches wide by 16.3 inches high. With that said, it is the go-to product for cats, small dogs, and other small-sized pets. It is designed to offer you and your pet ultimate convenience during travel or hiking. It is available in a plethora of colors, including dark grey, charcoal, black, royal blue, red, heather purple, heather taupe, pink, light gray, light blue, heather navy, and more. It is firmly structured so it can provide your pet with an ample room to move around. Because of how it is designed and the convenience it brings, the backpack is also great for taking your furry friend to the vet or going for a walk with her in the park. It is made with safety in mind in that it will not collapse on your dog or cat while you are on the go.
- Two-way entry: It makes the carrier backpack easy to access.
- Zip up mesh window: It ensures more headroom and visibility.
- Firm structure: It enables the carrier backpack to provide your pet with a perfect room to move around. The firmly reinforced structure also prevents the backpack from collapsing on your pet while you are traveling.
- 600D high-grade polyester: It is used to make the carrier backpack. It is of top quality and offers a long-lasting experience.
- Waist and chest buckles: They provide you with extra support, thereby, making it possible to carry the backpack for long hours.
- Cool; hence, the pet will not overheat
- The extra pockets are great for carrying treats and water
- The board that sits at the bottom offers great support to pets
- The netting is very strong; it is plastic reinforced
- The price is great
- Not the most comfortable
3. SLEEKO Luxury Pet Carrier for Dogs and Cats
Buying an FAA approved dog carrier backpack for hiking is a good idea. That’s why we have not hesitated to let you know of the availability of this one. It fits under airplane seats of Jetblue, American Airlines, Delta, and any other major airline. The backpack measures 17.5 inches long by 10 inches wide by 11.9 inches high, meaning it is compactly sized to fit almost anywhere. The compact size, however, will not by any account make your dog or cat uncomfortable. What’s more, this pet carrier comes with a storage case and two fleece pads to further make it convenient to use for carrying a pet. It is a wonderful bag that provides a comfortable and convenient place to carry pets up to 11 pounds. It is comfortable to carry, and that’s because of the dual straps. Moreover, this backpack has two pockets for accessories or treats. Plus it is designed with a pet ID tag to make it easy to find your dog/cat in the unfortunate event that you lose them.
- Mesh ventilation and two removable ultra-soft fleece pads: They work together to make the backpack totally comfortable.
- Two seat belt buckles: They ensure safe car travel.
- Reflective strips: They improve visibility in low-light environments.
- Clip-on shoulder strap and padded hand strap: They allow for hassle-free portability.
- Three-quick openings: They improve convenience while you are on the go.
- Heavy-duty polyester fabric and tear-resistant mesh: They enable the pet carrier to hold up well to daily use.
- Flexible enough to perfectly fit under the seat of a plane
- Has a lot of mesh, which makes it easy to monitor your pet
- Looks nice both in the inside and outside
- Fabric and zippers do not look cheaply made
- Provides plenty of space for cats or small dogs
- Tends to wobble when carried using the shoulder straps
4. PetAmi Pet Carrier Backpack for Small Cats and Dogs
PetAmi knows that, as a pet owner, all you want when traveling is comfort and convenience. That being said, they have come up with this high-performance dog carrier backpack. It measures 11.5 inches long by 9 inches wide by 16 inches high and fits both small and medium sized pets up to 8 pounds. The carrier backpack for hiking has everything to keep both of you comfortable even on the longest hikes. It is made of quality construction; hence, do not expect it to wear out anytime soon. Furthermore, the carrier backpack comes in multiple color options, which are Black, Royal Blue, Gray, Red, Heather Charcoal, Purple, Light Blue, Heather Gray, and Pink. Needless to say, you will easily find a color that goes well with your outfit. Normally, you will expect a carrier backpack like this one to be pricey, right? Surprisingly, that’s not the case. It is arguably one of the best backpacks for those with small to medium sized pets. This is because it is affordable yet very well made.
- 600D high-grade polyester: It is durable for long-lasting performance.
- Waist and chest buckles: They provide extra support.
- Side pockets: They provide the carrier backpack with extra capacity.
- Safety strap: It secures your pet and prevents him/her from escaping.
- Collapsible pet bowl: Helps keep your pet hydrated while you are on the go.
- Well-ventilated design: It allows for optimal airflow as well as making it easy to check your pet.
- Great for the price
- Comfortable for both the user and the pet
- Sturdy and good quality
- Completely collapsible and easy to hide
- The flat bottom allows pets to sit and support themselves
- Lightweight; not big or bulky
- Not the best for big pets
5. Cosmos Colorful Strip Pattern Dogs Legs Out Front Carrier Bag
Carry your pet in style with this colorful hiking dog carrier from Cosmos. It is strong enough and perfect for pets weighing between 2.5 and 4 kg with chest circumference not exceeding 20.5”. Ideally, it has fascinating features that will allow your dog to enjoy a soothing stroll while your hands are free. It comes in three different sizes to let you easily find what perfectly fits your dog. These sizes include medium, small, and large. It is important to note that the prices vary depending on the size. The medium size has an 11-inch pocket size from neck to bottom, and it is 7 inches wide. Other measurements include 5”, which is the interval between front and hind leg; 9.5”, which is the dimension of the hind leg girth, and 6”, which is the measurement of front leg girth. Because of the colorful fabric, this carrier backpack will blend nicely with your outfit, thereby, fetching a lot of compliments as you walk in the park or streets. Toting a small-sized pet is now easier than ever before. And it is all because of carrier backpacks like this one. It is comfortable to carry and guarantees to keep your pet safe during a hiking adventure.
- Infant-style design: Makes this dog backpack the perfect choice for toting around smaller-sized pets.
- Self-fastening loop and hook closures: They guarantee safe transport.
- Strip pattern: Brings in the much-needed style.
- Cotton canvas: Promotes comfort.
- Adjustable shoulder strap: It makes the carrier easy to carry and handle.
- Sturdy and good quality
- Pets look adorable in it
- Can be used on both cats and dogs
- Pets are comfortable in it
- It is an eye catcher and reasonably priced
- Straps are a little narrow and uncomfortable
6. Petsfit Comfort Dogs Carriers Backpack
Petsfit has never got it wrong. And that’s why we are very happy to include one of their products on this list. The dog carrier backpack for hiking measures 17.3 inches high by 13 inches wide by 10.6 inches long, and it can carry dogs up to 13 pounds. It is loaded with wonderful features to keep your pet comfortable as well as to make your hiking trips enjoyable. Its price is a little on the higher side compared to the prices of carrier backpacks we have already reviewed. Nonetheless, this should not trouble you because you get what you pay for. Moreover, the backpack for pets is by a company that adheres to Amazon Return Policy. This means should you raise an issue within the 30 days, then they will take full responsibility and help you accordingly. The Oxford material used to make this carrier backpack is eco-friendly, and this will give you peace of mind knowing that you are not harming the earth’s beautiful environment in any way. The carrier backpack is available in two color options, which are grey and grey 1.
- Mesh sides: They help provide ultimate ventilation.
- Sturdy Shoulder straps: They are adjustable to ensure comfort.
- Drawstring top and Safety harness attachment: They help improve safety.
- Comfort grip handle: It makes it easy to carry the backpack during travel or hiking.
- The bottom is waterproof
- Urine is easy to clean because the bottom is not absorbent
- The window can be unzipped even when the backpack is on your back
- Very comfortable on the back
- Double straps at chest and waist keep the backpack secure
- A bit too small
7. Pet Gear I-GO2 Traveler Roller Backpack
When you buy this dog carrier backpack, you are not just buying a backpack but also you are buying a carrier, a roller bag, a car seat, and a tote all in a single unit. In other words, this pet backpack is virtually a 5-in-1 carrier specially designed to make sure you are less inconvenienced. It will not just keep your dog or cat comfortable but also will make sure your pet is safe throughout the adventure. It measures 16 inches wide by 12 inches wide by 15 inches high to provide you with a well-sized place for your pet to stay every time you leave not just for hiking but also for other activities like walking in the park or streets. It comes with a tether to provide you with extra safety. Pet Gear has been in business since 1936 and they are committed to providing quality products as well as exceptional customer service. Therefore, expect to be 100-percent satisfied if you buy from them. Their 5-in-1 carrier backpack is packed with numerous features, including fleece liner, interior tether, pockets for treats, and mesh for ventilation.
- Expandable sides: It can be expanded to add three inches of additional space.
- Two storage pouches: They are in the aforementioned expandable sides and are designed to keep pet’s extras.
- Tether: It can be attached to the pet’s harness for added safety.
- Telescoping handle: It stores out of the way like a suitcase.
- Adjustable straps: Make the backpack extremely easy to carry.
- Good quality and looks nice
- Can accommodate large, heavy cats
- Put handle is comfortable
- Pet goes in without a problem
- Offers enough room to let pet stand freely
- Needs extra padding to give pet maximum comfort
8. CozyCabin Latest Style Comfortable Carrier Backpack
Whether you have a cat, mini teddy, mini schnauzer, Chihuahua, Pomeranian, Yorkshire, Minlature Pinscher or mini Poodle, this carrier backpack is for you. It is a wonderful backpack that is great for pet owners who are always on the go. The carrier backpack is available in several sizes so you can choose the perfect size for your needs. The backpack is great for pets weighing up to 12 pounds. The aforementioned sizes include M that has a top width measuring 7.8”, bottom width measuring 12.0”, height of 13.3”, and a neck hole size ranging from 7.1 – 18.8”. The size M is for dogs weighing up to 6.6 pounds. Another size is L and meant for dogs weighing not more than 8.8 pounds. In this size, the top width is 8”, bottom width is 14.2”, height is 15.7”, and a neck hole size is 7.2 – 21.2”. The last is the XL, which is for dogs weighing within 12 pounds. Its top width is 8.6”, bottom width is 14.9”, height is 17.7”, and a neck hole size ranges from 7.0” – 22.8”.
- Soft shoulder straps: They are adjustable and help reduce burden.
- The front hole: It can be adjusted with a drawstring to fit your pet size.
- Interior buckle design: It connects with the pet’s collar to prevent them from getting out.
- Oxford fabric: It is of top quality, thereby, helping to improve the sturdiness of the backpack.
- Premium sandwich mesh fabric: Allows for optimal airflow, so pets can stay comfortable throughout the hiking adventure.
- Comes in several colors and sizes
- It has two very small pockets
- Comfortable and very sturdy
- The straps can be adjusted
- Handy for a hiking trip
- The material used is durable
- The straps are not as comfortable as expected
9. PAWABOO Pet Carrier Backpack for Traveling Hiking Camping
The dimensions of the best quality dog carrier backpack for hiking are 16.5 x 10.4 x 0.5 inches, and its chest girth is 7 inches while the outside legs distances are less than 12 inches. The carrier will give you an opportunity to strengthen the bond between you and your pet. It is available in four different sizes, including S, M, L, and XL. The S size has a chest measuring less than 15.0” and has an inside legs distance greater than 4.5” and outside legs distance less than 8”. The size M has a chest girth measuring less than 16.5” and inside legs distance greater than 5” and outside legs distance less than 8.5”. The size L, on the other hand, has a chest girth of less than 18.5”, inside legs distance greater than 6”, and outside legs distance less than 9.5”. Last but not least, the size XL, which has a chest girth of less than 20.5”, inside legs distance greater than 6”, and outside legs distance less than 12”.
- Zipper and elastic openings: They allow you to comfortably fit your pet inside the backpack.
- Soft padded shoulder straps: They are adjustable and have clips that are for front and back wearing.
- Legs-out and tail-out design: It keeps pets safe and comfortable when you carry them around.
- Two mesh side panels: They allow for optimum circulation of air.
- Adjustable straps: They help you to balance weight as well as making the carrier backpack easy to wear.
- Fits great and pets love it
- Accommodates large dogs perfectly
- Seems well made to deliver solid performance
- Great for taking dogs on a camping or hiking trip
- The price is affordable
- The straps need a little more padding
10. Prefer Pets Backpack Pet Carrier
At only 3 pounds, this dog backpack carrier is one of the lightest pet slings for small dogs. Nevertheless, don’t be fooled by the lightweight design; this hiking dog carrier can comfortably and safely carry dogs up to 20 pounds. It is the ideal solution for those who love and care for their dogs, cats or rabbits. It is available in two colors, which are Black and Blue. Ideally, the color options have the same prices so you can choose a suitable one without minding your budget. The backpack is only available in one size, but this is not a deal breaker, as the size perfectly works for most dogs. The bag has the following dimensions; a length of 17 inches; a height of 12 inches, and a depth of 10 inches. By keeping your pet comfortable and well protected during hiking, the carrier backpack plays a huge role in reducing the pet’s fear and anxiety. The backpack is airline approved, meaning not even overseas travel will stop you from enjoying the best moments with your best friend. You can use it as a backpack or carrier.
- Durable mesh covered windows: They are on 4 sides and are designed for ventilation.
- Removable bottom insert: It makes cleaning a breeze.
- Heavy-duty nylon canvas: It enhances the durability of this small dog carrier. It is also water-resistant for maximum pet protection.
- Other features: Zipper entry on one side and zipper halfway down the opposite side.
- Luggage strap attachment: It makes the carrier backpack easy to carry.
- Can be used as a carrier or backpack
- Well ventilated and comfortable to wear
- Heavy duty and strong
- Folds up for easy storage
- Distributes the weight of pet greatly
- No pockets like other brands in the same class
Travel with your dog anywhere you want, because they love it! And one way to achieve that is through a dog carrier backpack. These items are safe and comfortable for any pet. Therefore, choose one with features you think are the best for your “special friend”. We’ve unveiled different brands to provide you with an array of options and to increase your chances of getting the most suitable one for your dog, cat or rabbit.