As you use your coffee or espresso machine, the mineral scale and other residues start to build up on the heating elements; hence, preventing water from heating the desired coffee-brewing temperature. Your coffee will, therefore, start tasting bitter, much to your surprise. When this problem occurs, it is advisable that you clean your coffee machine. But what do you use to clean your espresso or coffee machine?
Well, this is where a coffee machine cleaner comes into play. Formulated with powerful ingredients, coffee machine cleaners offer effective cleaning by eliminating the buildup of lime and scale. They also remove oils and stains from the machine, thereby, enhancing the taste of coffee. Coffeemaker cleaners have been proven to work better than vinegar since they do not leave any odor behind. In this editorial, we have the top 10 best coffee machine cleaners reviews to give you a glimpse of what’s out there. Keep reading.
- 1. Essential Values 2 Pack Universal Descaler
- 2. Urnex Coffee Maker Cleaner (3 Packets)
- 3. Essential Values Descaling Solution
- 4. Urnex 14oz Coffee Machine Cleaning and Descaling Liquid
- 5. TriNova Descaling Solution Coffee Maker Cleaner
- 6. Urnex Espresso Machine Cleaning Powder
- 7. Affresh W10511280 Coffeemaker Cleaner (4 Tablets)
- 8. Housewares Solutions 4 Fluid Ounce Bottle Descaling Solution (2-Pack)
- 9. Urnex Full Circle Descaling Liquid (4 oz)
- 10. Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker Cleaner (2 Pack)
1. Essential Values 2 Pack Universal Descaler
The Essential Values Universal Descaler (2 Pack) is designed to help clean your coffee machine, so it can give you the taste you need. Apart from 2 packs, the coffee machine cleaner is available in several packs including 3 packs and 4 packs, so you can easily find a suitable package. By cleaning the machine, this cleaner helps extend its lifespan. And when the coffee machine lasts longer, you will require little maintenance let alone saving a lot in the long run. The cleaner is made of citric acid, which does not just do an excellent job but also is odorless and eco-friendly. The manufacturer recommends that you use it every 1 – 3 months for best results. Moreover, it works with Hamilton Beach, Mr. Coffee, Nespresso, and more.
- Works with several brands of coffee machines
- The price is affordable
- Makes a better replacement for vinegar
- Does not have any smell
- You only need a little amount to get results
- Instructions are a bit unclear
2. Urnex Coffee Maker Cleaner (3 Packets)
Urnex has formulated this coffee maker cleaner to get rid of residual coffee oils and buildup. They have loaded it with all the necessary formulations to give your coffeemaker thorough cleaning in order to prevent it from producing bitter-tasting coffee. Like the first product on this list, the Urnex Coffee Maker Cleaner (3 Packets) is odorless; hence, it will not leave behind any smell. It is also non-toxic to give you confidence knowing that no one will develop health complications because of the cleaner. It comes in 3 packets that will last up to 3 months, and this is pretty good. Additionally, the coffee maker cleaner boasts a dual-action formula that will eliminate coffee oils and dissolve mineral deposits.
- Effective and easy to use
- Odorless and non-toxic
- Rinses safely and quickly
- Delivers results quite fast
- The price is incredibly affordable
- It works better than vinegar
- Requires a lot of water to be rinsed out
3. Essential Values Descaling Solution
Essential Values has another product that we think will help you big time. This descaling solution is formulated to clean your coffee machine, so it can last for a pretty long time. It works with Keurig 1.0/2.0, Tassimo, Bunn, Mr. Coffee, Hamilton Beach, Delonghi, Cuisinart, Nespresso, and Krups, among others. What’s more, this solution is safe for the environment to eliminate any guilt of contributing to environmental degradation. It is also odorless, and this makes it much more convenient to use. According to the manufacturer, this descaling solution is exactly what you need to keep your machine sparkling clean. It allows you to clean and descale at the same time. Additionally, it comes in a large bottle to last you long enough.
- Compatible with several coffee machine brands
- The price is great
- Cleans and descales effectively
- Only takes half a bottle per cleaning
- Ideal for routine maintenance
- You need to rinse it until the water becomes clear
4. Urnex 14oz Coffee Machine Cleaning and Descaling Liquid
Made to break down the coffee oil, the Urnex 14oz Coffee Machine is exactly what you need to help improve the performance of your coffee machine. It cleans in a natural way without the use of dangerous chemicals. You can also use it to get rid of limescale and mineral build-up. Although this coffee machine cleaner does not come in several packets like other brands, its bottle is large enough to last for quite a while. The bottle is 14 ounces, and, therefore, you will use it over and over again. Another good thing about this coffee machine cleaning and descaling liquid is that it cleans and descales Keurig, Verismo, and Nespresso coffee machines. The manufacturer recommends that you use it regularly to get the desired results.
- Contains no harmful chemicals
- Can be used as a cleaner and descaler
- The bottle capacity is large
- Helps enhance the performance of the machine
- Works easily and effectively
- You have to rinse it more times than the instructions recommend
5. TriNova Descaling Solution Coffee Maker Cleaner
We have included this descaling solution coffee maker cleaner in these reviews because it is powerful yet safe. You only need two ounces of diluted solution to eliminate deposits, limescale, and residue from your machine. It virtually eliminates anything that can hurt the functionality or negatively influence the taste of your coffee. Plus it works with full/semi-automatic coffee machines as well as manual machines and espressos. Moreover, you can use it to clean tea kettles, filter machines, and electric heaters. Another thrilling thing about this cleaner is that it comes in a voluminous bottle just to make sure you have more than enough. The manufacturer has backed it with a 100-percent satisfaction guarantee to indicate that they fully stand behind their product.
- Instructions are easy to follow
- Cleans a lot of residues and grime
- Extends the lifespan of a coffee maker
- Works with several machines
- Makes coffee taste much better
- More expensive than vinegar and some cleaners
6. Urnex Espresso Machine Cleaning Powder
Urnex has specially formulated this powder for effective use in the back flush cleaning process. For this reason, the powder brings together maximum cleaning power and solubility to give ultimate results. Urnex has also made sure that this coffee machine cleaner is easy to rinse, unlike other brands that require a lot of water to completely wipe them out. The cleaner is NSF-certified for metal compatibility and safety. Therefore, use it with peace of mind knowing that it will not cause devastating damages to your coffee machine. Another reason why we have included this product in these reviews is that it comes in a powder format rather than liquid. And this means you will easily control the dosing.
- Eliminates residues and oils effectively
- The powder format is easy to use
- Certified for metal compatibility and safety
- Makes coffee taste better once again
- Makes coffee machines look new
- Directions come in multiple languages for easy comprehension
- A bit pricey, but it is worth it.
7. Affresh W10511280 Coffeemaker Cleaner (4 Tablets)
All the positive factors you have ever wanted in a coffee machine cleaner are all here in the Affresh W10511280 Cleaner. Formulated to help fight mineral build-up and hard water residue, the cleaner promises to offer effective cleaning that will leave your machine looking as good as new. It gives a powerful clean without using harmful chemicals or odor. As such, we think it works better than vinegar. We also like the fact that this cleaner is certified by EPA, meaning it is approved for quality and safety. Because of its effectiveness, this cleaner does not require mixing, measuring or stirring. All you need to do is to drop it and then brew; thanks to its tablet design.
- Works with multi-cup and single-serve brewers
- The tablet design makes it easy to use
- Does a better job of cleaning
- Offers a better option than vinegar
- Improves the taste of the coffee
- Too little for the price, but it is worth it
8. Housewares Solutions 4 Fluid Ounce Bottle Descaling Solution (2-Pack)
What makes this descaling solution has a berth in these reviews is that it does not leave behind residues that are likely to clog the lines and valves of the machine. Moreover, it is designed with versatility in mind. And this means you can use it to clean your French press, single-cup coffee brewer, coffee brewer, pour-over coffee maker or coffee percolator. The descaling solution is also fairly easy to use since all you need to do is to mix one of the two bottles with 600ml – 700ml of water and then pour it into the machine water tank before you start brewing. Be sure to repeat the whole process, but this time, with water only. If you follow these processes keenly, expect to dissolve hard-to-remove calcium, lime, scale, and deposits.
- Cleans all brands of coffee machines
- No after-smell of the solution
- Does not contain harsh vinegar or chemical
- It rinses better than vinegar
- Directions are easy to understand
- It gets quite hot. So, extra care is needed
9. Urnex Full Circle Descaling Liquid (4 oz)
The Urnex Full Circle Descaling Liquid (4oz) is featured on this list because it gets rid of mineral buildup from the heating element of the machine. By so doing, it helps unclog the machine, thereby, allowing it to work as expected. The manufacturer recommends that you use it once a month because descaling should be done on a regular basis. The descaling liquid contains no toxic ingredients and will leave no vinegar smell. It works naturally, and this makes it clean coffee machines without tampering with the taste of the coffee. The descaling liquid comes in two 120ml bottles, meaning it will be enough for the entire descaling process. With it, you will be able to keep your machine from failing and delivering inconsistent performance.
- Biodegradable and non-toxic
- Odorless and contains no phosphate
- Works well on a variety of coffee and espresso equipment
- Extends the lifespan of coffee and espresso machines
- Comes in two bottles
- Instructions need a little improvement
10. Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker Cleaner (2 Pack)
Designed for all automatic drip coffeemakers, the Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker Cleaner (2 Pack) is exactly what you need to help extend the lifespan of your coffee machine. It has been proven to clean better than vinegar; thanks to its powerful formulation. Furthermore, it does not have any unpleasant odor like vinegar and other coffee cleaning agents. Its powerful formulation works deeper and effectively to remove all kinds of debris including unseen lime deposits and scale. When you buy this cleaner, you will get two 1-ounce cleaning packets that will be enough to make your coffee machine effective again. There is also a pack of 9 for users who value convenience or like buying products in bulk. We believe that very few coffee machine cleaners work like this product. So, go for it when there is still time.
- Cleans better to deliver impressive results
- Compatible with various coffeemakers
- Easy to tell when you have rinsed it enough
- Available at a reasonable price
- Eliminates oils and stains
- Not compatible with all coffee machines, though, it works with many
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Coffee Machine Cleaner
Coffee machine cleaners are formulated differently, depending on the manufacturer. As a result, it is very easy to get a cleaner that you may not like. But we don’t want you to be frustrated. That’s why we have provided the following factors to consider.
- The Bottle Capacity
There are all sizes of bottles of coffeemaker cleaners. And this means there is something for everyone. So, if you prefer small-sized bottles because they are inexpensive or trying out a brand for the first time, or prefer large-sized bottles because you value convenience, be sure to get it.
- Coffee Machine Compatibility
Although coffee machine cleaners work with several coffeemakers and espresso machines, it is still advisable to check if the one you are buying is compatible with your machine. This will help you get the best out of the cleaner you have just bought.
- Ingredients Used
The best coffee machine cleaner should contain non-toxic ingredients. Furthermore, it should not have harmful chemicals that can lead to devastating effects. So, when you are choosing a suitable coffeemaker cleaner, ensure that you check if it is biodegradable, odorless, and works naturally.
- The Design/Format of the Cleaner
Coffee machine cleaners are mostly available in tablet, powder, and liquid formats. Tablet format is very easy to use since it does not require you to measure or stir anything. Powder, on the other hand, may require you to measure before use, but this does not mean it is unsuitable for your needs. Lastly, there is the liquid format, which mixes easily to save time. With all these options at your disposal, it is up to you to decide which format suits you best.
- Uses of the Cleaner
It is advisable to buy a coffee machine cleaner with several uses. Therefore, make sure you go for a unit that does everything you can ever think of. Go for a machine cleaner that will not just eliminate residues and mineral buildup but also will clean your coffee machine to the extent that it looks new again.
If you are a coffee connoisseur, a coffee machine is a must-have. And with a coffee machine, comes maintenance. But how well do you keep your coffeemaker clean? Well, in this post, we have provided you with one of the most convenient ways to descale your coffee or espresso machine. And we have achieved that by listing the best coffee machine cleaners only. So, the time is now; do not leave this platform without your preferred coffeemaker cleaner.