Drilling holes into or through a metal can prove to be a daunting task if you do not have the right tools. Besides, it can be a little unsafe, considering that you are likely to use a lot of effort to get the results you want. So, if you do not want to go through such a hassle, the best decision to make is to buy a benchtop drill press. Also referred to as a drilling machine, a benchtop drill press is a handy tool used to cut holes into or through materials such as copper and silver.
Most of them have several speed ranges to let you drill holes through a wide range of material thickness. In addition, benchtop drill presses are easy to set up and use once they are already assembled. They make a perfect purchase for jewelers, woodworkers, hobbyists, and DIYers. The following top 10 best benchtop drill press reviews are for you should you be interested in getting one.
- 1. WEN 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press (4208)
- 2. Skil 3.2-Amp 10-Inch Drill Press (3320-01)
- 3. Dremel Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press (220-01)
- 4. TruePower 01-0822 Mini Drill Press
- 5. Genesis 10” 4.1 Amp Drill Press (GDP1005A)
- 6. SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench (97511MDP)
- 7. Lukcase Floor Drill Press
- 8. Shop Fox 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Drill Press
- 9. Grizzly 12 Speed Bench-Top Drill Press (G7943)
- 10. Shop Fox Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press (W1667)
1. WEN 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press (4208)
DIYers and experts like the WEN 4208 model because it is equipped with up to 5 speeds, which include 3140, 2100, 1530, 1100, and 740 RPM. For this reason, you will be able to use it on any material thickness. Experts also like it because its 120V 60Hz motor is very powerful and works with the 1/3 HP horsepower to deliver the best performance. Besides, this drill press comes with a Chuck Key, 1/2” Keyed Chuck, and Tools for easy assembly. Its Spindle Travel has an easy-to-read locking linear depth stop for repeatable and accurate drilling operations. Plus it has a 6-1/2” X 6-1/2” cast iron worktable with an adjustable height. The cast iron worktable can also be beveled up to 45 degrees right and left.
- The price is competitive
- Meets various hobbyist needs
- Works quietly and does not wobble
- Strong yet relatively light
- Assembly instructions are clear and simple
- Works great with drill bits
- The precision needs a little improvement
2. Skil 3.2-Amp 10-Inch Drill Press (3320-01)
Bigger and bolder projects need a powerful benchtop drill press like the Skil 3320 model. The tool promises to give you precise hole alignment with its X2 2-Beam Laser. It will also allow you to drill consistently, given that it comes equipped with a depth adjustment system. Moreover, there are 5 speeds that cut holes cleanly through metal, wood, and other materials. This drill press accepts larger bits for cutting and woodworking. Besides, it features a work surface that tilts from 0 – 45 degrees to give you the results you need. With it, you will be able to use it for large-scale furniture and building projects. Skil has backed it with a limited 3-year warranty and even ensured that it is certified by cSAus.
- The price is reasonable
- Runs very smooth
- Works fine for household use and hobby work
- Boasts good power and stability
- Nicely machined and the painting is well done
- The table is a little difficult to adjust
3. Dremel Rotary Tool Workstation Drill Press (220-01)
The Dremel 220 model can be used as a flex shaft holder, a tool holder or a drill press. It is a highly versatile and convenient tool that every DIYer or hobbyist should have in their collection. With it, you will be able to drill accurately angled and perpendicular holes. Moreover, it holds tools in place for such applications as buffing and sanding. Its flex shaft holder is telescopic, and, therefore, can be adjusted to any height, provided it is between 16” and 29”. This multipurpose drill press can be used with several Dremel Rotary Tool models. Well, some of these models include 8220, 100, 8200, 200, 8100, 275, 4200, 285, 3000, and 300, among others. This tool also has Cord Management Clips, which safely store power cords when they are not in use.
- Works great in the hobby room
- The plunge handle is smooth
- Adjustments are easy to make
- Has a lot of applications and is very easy to use
- Works with several Dremel Rotary Tool models
- The build quality is a little off
4. TruePower 01-0822 Mini Drill Press
If you are on a budget yet you would like to end up with a great quality product, the TruePower 01-0822 Mini Drill Press is for you. It is affordable yet the manufacturer has done well to equip it with a number of basic features that will leave you more than impressed. For instance, TruePower has equipped it with 3-speed ranges that are from 0-5000, 0-6500, and 0-8500 RPM. As such, this drill press promises to accommodate drills from 0.79 – 6 mm in diameter. Other features are 6.750” x 6.750” work surface as well as a 1-inch spindle travel. Also, there are a 6mm chuck capacity and a 4-inch throat. We are certain that you will not have problems with your DIY projects, given that this tool is powered by a permanent magnet motor that has a variable speed control.
- No compromises despite the price
- Has a variable speed knob
- Great for making small holes in silver, copper etc
- Built stronger than most models
- Small; hence, easily portable
- Has little torque
5. Genesis 10” 4.1 Amp Drill Press (GDP1005A)
Larger projects always require more versatility and power. And that’s where this drill press comes into play. With a 4.1 amp motor, this tool delivers a powerful performance that you can rely on for your DIY projects. It also features a built-in Work Light to provide enough visibility and convenience while you are working. Ideally, this drill press will let you work on a variety of materials since it has up to 5 speeds. Another feature that makes it worth owning is the 5/8-inch chuck, which makes it perfect for handling larger bits and easy-to-access pulley housing for easy changing of the speed. Because it is equipped with a smaller foot print compared to a floor drill press, the Genesis GDP1005A will help save space in your work shop.
- The measuring mechanism doubles as a limiter
- Not noisy and turns on easily
- Easy to assemble and looks impressive when put together
- Works well for beginner woodworkers
- Has efficient accuracy for tap and drill use
- The manufacturer should improve the build
6. SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench (97511MDP)
This is another affordable product that we feel can take your DIY skills to another level. It has several features that include 3 wrenches, a 6mm max drill capacity, a 1-inch spindle travel, and a 6mm chuck key. The drill press also has 3 variable speeds (5000, 6500, and 8000RPM) that will let you work on a variety of material thickness. Additionally, this drill press has a base, which measures 6-5/8 x 6-5/8 inches and a work area that measures 6-9/16 by 6-9/16 inches. Considering its versatility, this drill press is preferred by jewelers, hobbyists, woodworkers, and mechanics, among other groups of professionals. It is very easy to use and promises to give you more accurate results compared to other hand-held drills.
- Great for light-duty tasks
- The motor has plenty of torque
- The speed control works well
- Can be set up almost anywhere
- Easy to move around in a small working area
- Works without wobbling
- A little crudely made, but it works just fine
7. Lukcase Floor Drill Press
You can drill a slant hole with this drill press, and all you need to achieve that is to rotate it. After all, it is rotatable from 0 – 90 degrees, so it can suit your needs. In addition, this floor drill press has an original clamping range of 40mm, although you can adjust the range from 27.5mm – 43.6mm. In addition, it features a copper plug readjustment to confirm the durability and precision. We believe that this is exactly what you want, given that it has several handy features. Its working stroke is 60mm, while its down stroke is 60mm as well. Despite working so well, this drill press is amazingly affordable. And this is to let you get it without trying too hard.
- Allows for many adjustments
- Well built to give solid results
- Great for small projects
- Cheaper than other models in the same class
- The design is great
- May come with a few issues, but overall, it is perfect
8. Shop Fox 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Drill Press
If your shop is screaming for a versatile tool, look no further than the Shop Fox 1/2-Horsepower Benchtop Drill Press. It is a handy drill press that will help you take on several tasks with much convenience and ease. It will allow you to drill any angle and come up with results you have ever wanted. Moreover, its convenient design will let you use it as a horizontal boring machine. The benchtop drill press features a 1/2HP, 110-volt motor, and this is what enables it to deliver stunning performance on a consistent basis. Its various speeds (3470, 550, 2490, 880, and 1520 RPM) also contribute to its performance by allowing you to drill different materials with a wide range of thickness.
- Easy to assemble for quick use
- The versatility and functionality are great
- Offers nice smooth pressing action
- The price is great
- Delivers plenty of power for woodworking
- May arrive with a few original defects, but the manufacturer always accepts returns
9. Grizzly 12 Speed Bench-Top Drill Press (G7943)
Grizzly is one of the notable companies that are dedicated to making sure that their customers are satisfied. But they do not just achieve that by offering good services; they also produce top quality products like the Grizzly G7943 model. Well, they have made this drill press one of the best by equipping it with a powerful 3/4 HP 110V motor. Capable of delivering enough power, the motor enables the drill press to work on a variety of projects. For this reason, the tool is preferred by jewelers, carpenters, woodworkers, and hobbyists, among others. Another high functioning feature is the integrated light, which improves visibility and convenience. Also, there is a table that swings 360 degrees and tilts 90 degrees left and right to let you get the correct results.
- Smooth and works quietly
- Looks durable enough to last for quite a long time
- Easy to use and set up
- Does its job well
- Speeds are easy to change and controls are obvious
- Has some spindle wobble issues
10. Shop Fox Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press (W1667)
It is true all DIYers would like to end up with a versatile drill press. And we are certain that you are not an exception. That’s why we have brought you this drill press. The tool is powered by a 1/2-horsepower motor, which allows it to work on materials really fast. It also features a removable safety key and a 1/2-inch drill chuck to help prevent unwanted starts. Since this machine is designed with versatility in mind, it can be used as an oscillating sander or a drill press. In addition, it weighs 54 pounds only, which when combined with the compact design, makes it very easy to move with and use anywhere. The unit is backed by a 2-year warranty to protect against defects and workmanship.
- Well made and heavy duty
- Works great as a press drill and oscillating sander
- The pulleys are made of metal
- Runs extremely smooth and holds up well
- Great for a light woodworker
- Tends to vibrate a lot during use
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Benchtop Drill Press
Storming the market and choosing a drill press randomly may not go down well with the type of tool you want. So, you must consider a number of factors before you buy one. And here, we have not hesitated to provide you with some of these factors. Check them out.
- The Power
The power of a benchtop drill press is mostly determined by the power of the motor. That means the higher the power of the motor, the higher the performance of the drill press. With this in mind, be sure to choose a drill press with a powerful motor, especially if you have massive work to do.
- The Accuracy
Accuracy matters a lot in woodworking. And regardless of whether you are a jeweler, hobbyist, woodworker or DIYer, you will want to make precise holes every time. Therefore, make sure you go for a tool with features that enable it to create perfectly sized holes every time it is used.
- Speed Ranges
A benchtop drill press should not work at one speed. This is because different materials have different thickness. Therefore, you need to go for a tool with a wide range of speed to enable you to work on different material thickness with much ease. Try to choose a benchtop drill press with at least 3-speed ranges for the best results.
- Safety Levels
A benchtop drill press can cause injuries if not handled properly. However, it is not just how you handle your drill press that determines whether you will be exposed to injuries or not; the features contribute to safety as well. For this reason, ensure that you go for a unit that features overload protection and is very comfortable to use.
- Build Quality
A well-built drill press will not vibrate during use, thereby, increasing precision. Additionally, such drill presses are super durable, considering that they are mostly made of all-metal construction. They also deliver high power because they are likely to have high power motor. With all these advantages, try to go for a unit that is solidly built.
A benchtop drill press is an essential tool that every DIY enthusiast should have. It is designed for creating perfectly-sized holes on metal materials; hence, this is what makes it a must-have for jewelers, woodworkers, and hobbyists. This platform should be a frontier for you whether you are looking for a new model to add to your tool collection or replacing a damaged one.