10 Best Digital Film and Slide Scanners 2021 Reviews
If you have old 35mm negatives, slides, and films you think you should convert into JPEG images, a digital film and slide scanner is for you. This unit will help bring back the good old memories that you have cherished since you were little. It is great for converting films or negatives from a wedding, holiday, or family get-together.
Well, different digital scanners not only have different features but also have different capabilities. That is to say, some scanners can produce much sharper scans than others. And they are the ones you should own. So, without further ado, here are our best digital film and slide scanners reviews.
Table Best Digital Film and Slide Scanners
- 1. KODAK Digital Film & Slide Scanner – SCANZA
- 2. Wolverine 8-in-1 Film to Digital Converter – Titan
- 3. zonoz 22MP Film & Slide Converter Scanner, FS-ONE
- 4. Rybozen Mobile Film and Slide Scanner
- 5. DIGITNOW Film Negative Scanner Slide Viewer
- 6. Plustek 35mm Film & Slide Scanner – OpticFilm 8200i SE
- 7. Magnasonic FS51 All-In-One Slide & Film Scanner
- 8. eyesen 22MP Film & Slide Photo Scanner
- 9. Pacific Image 35mm Film & Slide Scanner – PrimeFilm XAs
- 10. QPIX DIGITAL 22MP Film Negative Scanner – White
1. KODAK Digital Film & Slide Scanner – SCANZA
KODAK SCANZA converts films to JPEG within a cinch. It is a powerful scanner that works fast to make sure you are not inconvenienced in any way. It quickly converts old 35mm, 110, 126, Super 8, and 8mm slides and negatives to JPEG digital files. It is worth noting that this unit only works with the above mentioned negatives and slides.
What’s more, KODAK SCANZA is highly compatible. It works with both PC and Mac. Plus it comes with lots of cables so you can use it right of the box. These cables include an HDMI cable, a video cable, and a USB cable. An AC adapter and a free film cleaning brush are also included.
- 3 function keys ensure easy navigation of the interface
- Capture button returns to the capture view screen or saves the current image
- 3 numbered slide inserts adapt effortlessly to old films, thereby, ensuring safe and convenient loading
- 14MP sensor captures images in fantastic high-definition clarity
- Scans in just 1 – 2 seconds
- The price is inexpensive
- Very easy to set up
- Has a large LCD screen
- Made of plastic; hence, it may not be very durable
2. Wolverine 8-in-1 Film to Digital Converter – Titan
With the Wolverine Titan, you will only take 3 seconds to scan a slide. It is equally fast, and that is because it is equipped with a special fast-loading slide adapter. That being said, all you need to do is push the Slides through the machine and then press 2 buttons. In just 3 seconds, you will get your slides into digital images.
The Titan works right out of the box. Simply plug it into any USB port or an AC outlet and then begin converting your films. Once done, the Titan saves all the images in its internal memory. Alternatively, it can direct them to an optional SDHC/SD memory card.
- HDMI to-out jack lets you view images on TV in HD
- 4.3-inch large color screen helps make the machine easy to use
- No software or computer required
- Supports memory card up to 32GB
- The design is good
- Extremely easy to use
- The unit has controls to modify colors
- It is delivered on time and as promised
- The internal memory is pretty limited
3. zonoz 22MP Film & Slide Converter Scanner, FS-ONE
zonoz FS-ONE allows you to convert negatives and slides into 22MP JPEG images with a push of a button. It is extremely easy to use; hence, it is a nice purchase for someone just getting into the project of converting negatives into images. It needs no software or computer.
Furthermore, this converter scanner comes with a lot. Well, these are a 38” USB to mini USB cable, multivoltage 110V/240V AC adapter, 56” TV cable (3.5mm to RCA video), positive slide tray/holder, negative film tray/holder, user manual, and cleaning brush. The converter scanner only takes seconds to scan an image.
- Simple, intuitive controls make using the unit a cakewalk
- SDHC memory card slot provides you with extra storage
- Built-in memory allows the converter scanner to store images
- 2.4-inch TFT LCD display further makes the unit easy to use
- Loading the holder is very simple
- The quality of images is acceptable
- It is delivered promptly
- Easy to store away when not in use
- Instructions are not very good
4. Rybozen Mobile Film and Slide Scanner
Rybozen Film & Scanner is compatible with both 35mm slides and film negatives. It converts old 35mm Films and Slides into JPEG. What’s even better, the unit allows you to do the conversion via your smartphone. It offers an easy and convenient way to relive old memories.
Additionally, this machine comes with a free manufacturer’s app that will help you capture, filter, rotate, and crop. The app also allows you to adjust color and contrast as well as to share your images on social media. Given the purpose it serves, the mobile film & slide scanner makes a wonderful gift for parents and kids alike.
- Built-in LED backlight helps make the unit easy to use
- Foldable design allows the scanner to fold into the size of a small box
- No drivers or computer needed
- Tray for inserting a slide or negative
- Extremely easy to use
- The quality is okay
- The app is fun to use
- Keeps the negatives in place
- Your phone is likely to overheat because of the light being projected through the film and into the camera lens. But when this happens, simply take a break so the phone can cool off
5. DIGITNOW Film Negative Scanner Slide Viewer
DIGITNOW Scanner Viewer will help you organize and externalize your old 35mm films and slides. Like other premium units, this machine scans and converts old memories into digital images with a touch of a button. Ideally, it produces sharp and vibrant images in JPEG format.
Once images are ready, you can view them on your computer or other devices of your choice. Alternatively, you can print these images out as regular photos. You do not need a computer connection to operate this scanner. In the box, you will not just find a scanner but also you will get a USB cable, video cable, user manual, film (negatives) holder, slide (positive) holder, and more.
- Compatible with Windows Vista/XP/10/8/7 and Mac OS
- Display is 2.4” TFT LCD Screen
- Screen is at the bottom to let you make the adjustment conveniently
- Comes with an adjustable rapid slide feeder
- Great for those with slides to transfer
- Provides exceptional results for the money
- Easy to set up and to operate
- Takes fantastic images
- The slide feeder can be difficult to use if slides are not flat and in good condition. The feeder, however, works great with flat slides in good condition
6. Plustek 35mm Film & Slide Scanner – OpticFilm 8200i SE
OpticFilm 8200i SE is great for digitizing slides, black & white film, and color film. It is an outstanding 35mm film & slide scanner, which outputs beautiful images from analog film. As opposed to most film & slide scanners, OpticFilm 8200i SE is suitable both for film professionals and amateurs.
It is also a decent purchase for those who simply want to convert their old film and slides into digital format. The scanner produces files up to 68.9MP, which is similar to files created by a full frame digital SLR-camera. What’s more, you can create top-notch enlargement prints up to 36 by 24 inches with this scanner.
- Dynamic range of up to 3.6 D
- Designed with optical systems and state-of-the-art illumination
- Combines a high-sensitivity color CCD sensor with LED illumination to produce optimal image quality
- Built-in IR channel detects scratches and dust on the surface of the film and then removes them automatically
- Solid and well built
- Has a small footprint
- Easy to load with slides and films
- Delivers amazing results every time
- Does not seem to be compatible with the latest Mac OS10.15
7. Magnasonic FS51 All-In-One Slide & Film Scanner
Magnasonic Film Scanner delivers top-quality JPEG images. But, that’s not all; this scanner takes just seconds to archive as well as to scan each memory you wish to preserve. That being said, Magnasonic FS51 is exactly what you need if you want to digitally save your treasured negatives, slides, and film.
When Magnasonic FS51 is equipped with an SD card (not included), it scans and saves up to 4,000 images. Additionally, this unit comes with multiple accessories, including a 60.2-inch USB cable, a 5V/1A USB power adapter, a 60.6-inch RCA Video Out TV cable, 135, 126 and 110 film adaptors, a 135 slide holder/main holder, a cleaning brush, and an instruction manual.
- Built-in 2.4-inch LCD screen allows you to watch while scanning directly on the scanner
- Turns photos into high resolution 23MP JPEG images
- Quick 5-second scanning allows you to get through a pile of negatives, slides, and film in no time
- Color (blue, green, and blue) and brightness can be adjusted directly on the screen
- Good for the money
- The price is affordable
- The color screen is vibrant
- The unit has rubber pads on the bottom to prevent slippage
- Has very limited memory, but you can solve this by using an SD card
8. eyesen 22MP Film & Slide Photo Scanner
eyesen Film & Slide Scanner is a multi-function unit that converts 135 (35mm), 110 monochrome/colour mounted slides and negatives into digital images. It does all these with a touch of a button. Needless to say, you will be able to do the conversion in no time.
Well, if you have images to safeguard from weddings, treasured family moments, and/or holidays, this scanner is for you. Each slide and negative takes just seconds to scan. And once they are scanned, you can download them into a digital file to copy or print to a CD. You can also store them.
- 128MB internal memory allows you to store your scan work images into the scanner
- Works with 5×7, 4×6, and 3×5 photos
- Digitizes photos, negatives, and slides at a high 22MP resolution
- 8GB memory card included for additional storage space
- Setting up the scanner is simple
- Compact, and, therefore, easy to handle
- The simplicity of the scanner is amazing
- Resolution can be changed
- None so far
9. Pacific Image 35mm Film & Slide Scanner – PrimeFilm XAs
Pacific Image PrimeFilm XAs boasts premium scanning capability. It can scan 35mm negatives and slides with a high resolution and exceptional dynamic range of 4.2 D. Having said that, expect high-quality images when you use this scanner.
Furthermore, the Pacific PrimeFilm XAs is equipped with a new fast scan mode. This mode allows the scanner to work up to 30-percent faster than other scanners in the same class. So, if you do not want to take a lot of time scanning negatives and slides, this is the unit to pick.
- New color enhancement technology displays more details
- Multi sampling/multi pass exposure produces premium image output
- Auto film feeder has a well-thought-out design for loading strips and roll film
- Resolution of 10,000 dpi helps in the production of quality image
- Focus is both manual and auto
- Produces sharp scans every time
- The seller’s customer service is amazing
- The supplied software is okay
- Not the fastest, but again, the speed is acceptable
10. QPIX DIGITAL 22MP Film Negative Scanner – White
QPIX DIGITAL Scanner comes with editing tools to let you adjust RGB levels with ease. These RGB levels are red, green, and blue. By adjusting them, you will be making old photos look as good as new. The scanner is compatible with both Mac and PC.
Furthermore, this scanner comes with a cable for securing video out TV connection. It is also versatile, given that it converts old 36 x 24mm (135 film), 27 x 27mm (126 film), 4.01 x 5.79mm (Super 8 film), and 17 x 13mm (110 film) into JPEG digital files. The scanner also converts slides into digital files.
- Lightweight and compact size makes the scanner portable
- Suitable for home and office applications
- Built-in software interplater not only adjusts but also improves the quality to 22MP
- Saves either to internal memory or to an optional memory card
- Files are saved as JPEG for easy sharing
- Does not need a computer to work
- Easy to use and is fairly fast
- The built-in LCD screen is very handy
- The manual has grammatical errors, but again, it is easy to understand
Choosing a good quality digital film and slide scanner can be a pretty daunting task, especially if you do not know much about these invaluable tools. But, with the above reviews, this should not be the case. That is because, in the reviews, we have only discussed scanners we believe are worth your attention and, more importantly, money.